Listen to the MP3 stream
Northwest Bible Church – Feb. 22, 2004 Worship Service – Alan Conner
Rom. 8:17 - Heirs of God
Rom. 8:17 is a transitional verse from the present blessings of being a child of God to the future glory that still awaits us. Two truths emerge in v. 17. 1) Children share in the inheritance, they are heirs, 2) children must suffer with Christ before they can receive their inheritance. These two themes will dominate vv. 18-25.
The purpose of this section is to fill the children with great joy. Rom. 5:2; 1 Pet. 1:3-6.
A. WHAT IS OUR INHERITANCE?
1) Glorification .
2) God Himself.
3) Fellow heirs with Christ.
4) Heirs are predestined. Eph. 1:11-12
B. SUFFERING IS THE CONDITION FOR GLORY.
1) Not a meritorious suffering.
2) What kind of sufferings are in view?
Persecution - 2 Tim. 3:12; Mt. 5:10.
And more - see context
"WE GROAN OUR WAY TO GLORY"
3) The practical purpose of suffering. To increase our hope, see Rom. 5:2-5.
C. THE BLESSINGS OF BEING AN HEIR OF GOD.
1) Joy now. Rom. 5:2.
2) Purification. 1 Jn. 3:2-3
3) Revives us.