Northwest Bible Church – April 23, 2017 – Christ in the OT series – Alan Conner
Christ the Gift-Giver
A. PSALM 68
2. The outline of the psalm.
a. Exhortation to rejoice before the Lord (Ps. 68:1-6).
b. God’s victorious march from Egypt to Jerusalem (Ps. 68:7-18).
c. Praise to God for His conquest over His enemies, His blessings on His people, and a worldwide flow of worshippers to His temple at Jerusalem (Ps. 68:19-35).
3. The Messianic ascension on high (Ps. 68:18).
a. “You have ascended on high” –
b. “You have received gifts among men” –
B. PAUL’S INTERPRETATION IN EPH. 4:7-16.
1. Christ ascends into heaven (Eph. 4:8, 9-10).
2. Christ leads captive a host of captives (v. 8).
a. Spiritual enemies – sin, death, Satan.
b. Enemies conquered by the gospel
3. Christ gives gifts to men (v. 8).
a. Every believer receives a grace gift (Eph. 4:7).
b. Some of the gifts are apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastor-teachers (Eph. 4:11).
c. These gifts help equip the saints to use their gifts for the building up of the body of Christ (Eph. 4:12).
4. Every good gift comes through Christ.