Northwest Bible Church – Nov. 5, 2006 – 2 Kings Series – Worship Service – Alan Conner
2 Kings 2:15-25
Elisha Established as the Prophet of God
- ELISHA ESTABLISHED BEFORE THE DISCIPLES (vv. 15-18).
A conflict between Elisha and the sons of the prophets at Jericho. They are reluctant to let go of Elijah. Possibly two problems here:
- Following the servant rather than the Master.
- Sentimentality vs. the Scriptures.
Both Elisha and the “sons of the prophets” are established by the word of God.
- ELISHA ESTABLISHED BEFORE THE WORLD (vv. 19-22).
This spring is called as the Ain es Sultan, the only spring near ancient Jericho which begins near the foot of the mound of the old city and still spreads its water out over the plain of Jericho. It is popularly known today a “the Spring of Elisha.”
- The bad water (v. 19).
- The cure (vv. 20-22).
1) Elisha took a new bowl with salt in it.
2) The cure must go to the heart of the earth.
- Elisha is established before the world as the prophet of God by speaking the word of God (v. 21).
III. ELISHA ESTABLISHED BEFORE THE ENEMIES OF GOD (vv. 23-25).
- The young lads mock the prophet.
“Go up” –
- Elisha’s curse upon them was just.
1) “young lads” –
2) They came out of Bethel.
3) They mocked Elisha.
4) They had to search out Elisha.
5) Elisha cursed them in the name of the Lord.
6) Two female bears were the rod of discipline for these rebellious youths.
7) Their number well exceeded 42.
- A word of caution to children.
The key to being established in our Christian lives at home (marriage, children), at church, at work, before the eyes of the world and before the enemies of God is living according to the Word of God.