Northwest Bible Church – July 26, 2015 – Worship Service – Alan Conner
John 18:12-14, 19-24
Jesus Before Annas
A. AN OVERVIEW OF JESUS’ TRIAL.
B. THE ROLE OF ANNAS, THE HIGH PRIEST (John 18:12-14).
1) Annas was the previous high priest.
2) Both Annas and Caiaphas were high priests (Lk. 3:2; Acts 4:6).
3) They probably shared the palatial residence.
C. THE TRIAL BEFORE ANNAS.
1) Two issues: His disciples and His teaching (John 18:19).
2) An illegal examination.
a) Trial by night was illegal.
b) There was no Jewish legal “preliminary informal hearing”.
c) The accused was not to be interrogated.
d) A trial could not be before a single judge. No witnesses before Annas, no formal indictment. There was no legal case against Jesus.
3) Jesus’ response (John 18:20-21).
a) Jesus objects to be interrogated.
b) Jesus admonishes Annas to question witnesses.
c) Jesus is challenging a high priest
4) Jesus wrongly struck (John 18:22-24).