Northwest Bible Church - April 26, 2020 - Book of Acts - Alan Conner
The Disciples of John the Baptist
A. THE DISCIPLES’ FAITH AND BAPTISM (Acts 19:2-7).
1. The nature of their faith (Acts 19:2).
2. Ignorance of the Holy Spirit (Acts 19:2-3).
3. Paul preaches Jesus to them and they are baptized in Jesus’ name (Acts 19:4-5).
4. They receive the Holy Spirit and speak with tongues and prophesy (Acts 19:6).
a. Acts 2 - Pentecost - HS given to Jews
b. Acts 8 - HS given to Samaritans.
c. Acts 10 - HS given to Gentiles.
d. Acts 19 - HS given to John’s disciples
B. DOES THE BIBLE TEACH A SECOND BLESSING (PENTECOSTIALISM)?
1. The Pentecostal/Charismatic view.
2. These “disciples” of John were not Christians (Acts 19:2).
C. THE NATURE AND USE OF THE GIFT OF TONGUES.
1. The nature of the gift of tongues is speaking in an unlearned human language.
a. Acts 2:4, 6, 8-11 - b. 1 Corinthians 12-14.
2. Restrictions on the gift of tongues.
a. Not all had the gift of tongues. 1 Cor. 12:3
b. Limited in number in the local church. 1 Cor. 14:27
c. Must be interpreted or to remain silent. 1 Cor. 14:27-28
3. The purpose of the gift of tongues.
a. Not the sign of the baptism with the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor. 12:13.
b. To edify the church when interpreted. 1 Cor. 14:2-17.
c. To judge unbelievers. 1 Cor. 14:21-25.
Application: Using our tongues today. Eph. 4:29