Northwest Bible Church – Feb. 14, 2016 – Worship Service – Alan Conner
The Empty Tomb and Grave Clothes
A. MARY WAS FIRST TO THE TOMB (John 20:1-2).
1) The prominence of Mary Magdalene.
2) Mary and other women arrive at the tomb (Mt. 28:1; Mk. 16:1; Lk. 23:55-24:1).
B. PETER AND JOHN AT THE EMPTY TOMB (John 20:3-10).
1) John wins the foot race (vv. 3-4).
2) John sees the linen wrappings lying there but does not go in (v. 5).
3) Peter enters the tomb (vv. 6-7).
4) John now enters, sees and believes (v. 8).
5) They did not yet understand the Scripture (v. 9).
C. SEEING AND BELIEVING (v. 8).
1) The evidence behind John’s faith is indicated in the Greek text.
a) In v. 5 BLEPO which simply means to see with the physical eyes.
b) In v. 6 THEOREO which means to observe with attention.
c) But in v. 8 HORAO which means to see with understanding.
2) Climax in the faith of Thomas (Jn. 20:28). “My Lord and my God.”
3) Blest faith (Jn. 20:29).