The Theology of the Temple
“God’s dwelling place”
1) THE GARDEN OF EDEN –
- Land of Eden where God created Adam (Genesis 2:8).
- River flowed out of the Eden (Genesis 2:10-14).
- God created Adam in his image and put Adam in the garden “to cultivate it and keep it” (Genesis 2:15).
- God talked with Adam (Genesis 3:8).
- Adam sin and was separated from God.
2) BRIEF APPEARANCES –
3) THE TABERNACLE OF GOD
- God promised to dwell among them if they kept His commandments (Leviticus 26:3, 11-12).
- Tabernacle was a humble house for God to dwell in.
- The arboreal lampstand (Exodus 25:31-36).
- The guarding cherubim.
4) THE TEMPLE OF GOD
- God told David that his descendant would build a house for God, 2 Samuel 7:12
- The temple was an improvement on the tabernacle.
- The temple adds more garden like imagery.
- Solomon acknowledges the inferiority of the temple he has built for God. 2 Chronicles 6:18
5) THE ESCHATOLOGICAL TEMPLE OF THE PROPHETS
6) THE TEMPLE IN PERSON – JESUS CHRIST
John 1:14; 2:18-22;
7) THE TEMPLE OF THE CHURCH
1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Ephesians 2:19-22
8) PARADISE RESTORED – THE HEAVENLY TEMPLE