Northwest Bible Church – May 21st, 2017 – Worship Service – Jeremy Malone
Be Found in Him
I. RIGHTEOUSNESS FOUND IN THE LAW (Vs. 6; “Walkthrough” of Rom. 1:1-3:9).
A. None—neither Jew, nor Gentile—are righteous in the sight of God.
B. All—both Jew and Gentile—are accountable to God by creation, conscience, and Law.
C. All—both Jew and Gentile—can be saved by faith in Jesus Christ.
II. JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH (Rom. 3:21-24, 26, 28-30; 4:1-8, 22).
A. God’s righteousness is...
1. Granted by faith to all who believe.
2. Credited to our account.
B. What is justification and how is it accredited as righteousness?
III. GAIN, LOSS, AND RUBBISH (Phil. 3:7-8d).
IV. BE FOUND IN HIM (Phil. 3:8e-9).
A. “So that I may gain Christ” (8e).
B. “And be found in Him” (9a).
1. “Not having a righteousness of my own derived from the law” (9b).
2. “But that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith” (9c).
Conclusion: THEOLOGICAL/SOTERIOLOGICAL SIGNIFICANCE—Christ is the end of the struggle!
Questions for small groups/meditation:
- What “dung” do we like to hold on to that we need to encourage each other to let go of?
- What is the importance of having the righteousness of Christ?
- How can recognizing that we have Christ’s righteousness help us to grow in our relationship with God? With others? With how we think of ourselves?