Northwest Bible Church – March 12, 2017 – Worship Service – Alan Conner
Christ the King-Priest
A. THE LORD IS KING (Ps. 1-3).
1. The LORD (Yahweh) enthrones the Lord (Adonai) as king (v. 1). “LORD” = Yahweh; “Lord” = Adonai (Lord, master) = Messiah.
a) “my Lord.”
b) “Sit at My right hand.”
(1) When does this take place?
(2) What does this say about this “Lord”? Mt. 22:41-46.
2. Yahweh will subdue Adonai’s enemies by stretching forth Adonai’s scepter (v. 2).
3. Adonai’s people will freely volunteer in the day of Adonai’s power (v. 3).
a) “in holy array” -
b) “from the womb of the dawn your youth is to You as the dew” -
B. THE LORD IS JUDGE (Ps. 5-7).
1. The Lord’s [Adonai] will judge His enemies in the day of His wrath (v. 5-6).
2. The Lord’s victory is unstoppable (v. 7).
C. THE LORD IS PRIEST (Ps. 4).
1. The “Lord” [Adonai] is a priest forever by Yahweh’s oath (v. 4).
2. The Lord will be a priest according to the order of Melchizedek (v. 4).
3. The function of the priest is to make atonement and be a mediator.
Heb. 7:24 -25
Discussion: How is the glory of Christ revealed in this psalm? What are some of the practical and spiritual benefits that we can glean from seeing Christ as King? As Judge? As priest?