Northwest Bible Church – May 22, 2016 – Worship Service – Alan Conner
Jesus Corrects Peter
A. PETER’S QUESTION ABOUT JOHN (John 21:20-23).
1) Peter sees John following them (v. 20).
2) John identifies himself in three ways (v. 20):
- a) “whom Jesus loved”;
- b) who leaned back on Jesus’ bosom at the supper;
- c) who said, “Lord who is the one who betrays You?”
3) Peter’s question (v. 21).
B. JESUS’ ANSWER TO PETER (v. 22).
1) “This is none of your business.”
a) Do not focus on the destiny, blessings, longevity of others.
b) God does not want us to be comparing ourselves with others.
2) How long would John live?
C. JESUS’ WORDS ARE MISUNDERSTOOD (v. 23).
1) The wrong interpretation of Jesus’ words.
2) John corrects this false interpretation.
3) Do not trust any unwritten traditions.
4) Scripture alone is our only authority.