Northwest Bible Church – May 15, 2016 – Worship Service – Alan Conner
A. JESUS FORETELLS PETER’S DEATH (John 21:18-19).
“Truly, truly” –
1) Peter in his younger days (v. 18a).
2) Peter in his old age (v. 18b-19).
3) Why does Jesus gives Peter a foreshadowing of what lay ahead.
4) His death will glorify God.
B. JESUS COMMANDS PETER TO “FOLLOW ME!” (v. 19).
1) Lifestyle command.
2) Immediate command.
C. DEATH AND THE BELIEVER.
1) Death is certain unless the Lord returns. Heb. 9:27
2) Our day of death has been determined by God. Job 14:5; Ps. 139:16
3) The Lord does not expect us to enjoy death. 2 Cor. 5:4; Mt. 26:39
4) Death is one of the greatest blessings for the believer. Phil. 1:21
5) Believers can profit from considering their death.
a) Not in a morbid way, but to grow in wisdom. Ps. 90:12
b) Helps us to consider what is really important. Rom. 12:1; Mt. 6:19
c) What lies beyond death is a source of joy for the believer. Rom. 8:18
d) Death is a means of glorifying God. 1 Cor. 10:31