Northwest Bible Church - Oct. 28, 2018 - Reformation message - Alan Conner
Justification and the Covenant of Grace
A. ETERNAL COVENANT OF REDEMPTION
1. Biblical support for. Tit. 1:2; 2 Tim. 1:9; Eph. 1:4
2. Manifested in history.
B. COVENANT OF WORKS
1. God’s covenant with Adam in the garden of Eden. Gen. 2:16-17.
2. Adam sinned and broke the covenant. Gen. 3:1-7.
3. The Covenant of works is still in effect after the Fall. Rev. 20:11-15.
C. COVENANT OF GRACE
1. The covenant of grace was revealed progressively in the OT.
a. The first promise and sacrifice. Gen. 3:15, 21
b. The “covenants of promise” Eph. 2:12.
c. Many prophecies and types of the coming of Jesus Christ.
d. The blessings began immediately after the Fall. Gen. 15:6
e. An OT picture of justification. Zech. 3:1-5
2. The new covenant of grace was enacted and ratified by Christ on the cross. Heb. 8:6; 10:20.
D. THE COVENANT OF GRACE AND JUSTIFICATION.
1. Immediate forgiveness of all sins. Rom. 4:5-8; 5:1, 9.
2. Immediate imputed righteousness of Christ. Rom. 4:5; Phil. 3:9; 2 Cor. 5:21.
3. Eternally justified in Christ. Rom. 8:1, 37-39: Eph. 1:13-14.