Northwest Bible Church - March 8, 2020 - Book of Acts - Alan Conner
A. THE VOW IN CENCHREA
1. Why did Paul make a vow?
2. This appears to be a Nazirite vow (Numb. 6).
B. OATHS AND VOWS IN THE BIBLE
1. The distinction between an oath and a vow.
a. Oath - are solemn promises made to men calling on God as witness;
b. Vow - is a solemn promise made to God alone.
The purpose of the oath is confirmation of the truth; and the purpose of the vow is commitment of a life.
2. The seriousness of oaths and vows. Numb. 30:2; Deut. 23:21-23.
3. The abuse of oaths. Mt. 5:33-37 cf. Jas. 5:12.
C. ARE VOWS APPROPRIATE FOR TODAY?
1. Vow makers in the Bible:
2. When a “return” to God is appropriate. 2 Chron. 32:24-25.