Northwest Bible Church - Dec. 10, 2017 - Christ in the OT series - Alan Conner
The Timing of the Messiah’s Coming
A. THE MEANING OF THE “SEVENTY WEEKS” (Daniel 9:24).
1. Why the 70 year Babylonian Captivity (Daniel 9:2)?
2. Linked to their sin of not giving the land its Sabbath rest.
a. Violations of not giving the land its Sabbath rest (Lev. 25:3-4; 26:34-43).
b. 70 years of violating the Sabbath rest for the land = 490 years.
c. The duration of their sin is the duration of their waiting for the cure to their sin.
B. THE SIX THINGS ACCOMPLISHED WITHIN THE 70 WEEKS (Daniel 9:24).
1. To finish the transgression.
2. To make an end of sin.
3. To make atonement for iniquity.
4. To bring in everlasting righteousness.
5. To seal up vision and prophecy.
6. To anoint the Most Holy.
C. THE BEGINNING AND ENDING OF THE SEVENTY WEEKS (Daniel 9:25-27).
1. The main choices for the beginning of the 70 weeks.
539 BC - Decree of Cyrus to rebuilt the temple (Ezra 1:1-4; 6:3-5)
518 BC - Decree of Darius to rebuild the temple (Ezra 6:1-12)
457 BC - Artaxerxes’ decree for Ezra to rebuild the city (Ezra 7)
444 BC - Artaxerxes decree for Nehemiah to rebuild the city (Neh. 2)
2. The GAP view.
3. The Consecutive year view.
4. Both views present the timing of Christ’s ministry.
1. Scripture is inspired
2. God controls all time and history.
For further reflection - How could you use Dan. 9:24-27 to show to an unbeliever that the Bible is a divinely written book? How does knowing that God controls “the times” encourage our faith? What practical lessons can you draw from this passage?