Northwest Bible Church - Nov. 24, 2019 - Thanksgiving Message - Alan Conner
Thanking God for His Lovingkindness
God’s lovingkindness is the Hebrew word hesed. We are to give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness 18 times. Hesed can be translated as “lovingkindness” (NASB), steadfast love (ESV), mercy (NKJV), love (NIV); “loyal love”; covenant love; the LXX normally translates Hesed as “mercy.” But it is a rich word, that overlaps with kindness, loyalty, goodness, strength.
A. A COVENANT LOVE.
1. God’s covenant love toward Israel.
2. God’s covenant love towards those who love Him.
B. AN INFINITE LOVE
1. Description of this love.
2. Comfort of this love.
C. AN EVERLASTING LOVE.
1. This love is said to be everlasting 57 times in the OT.
D. A GRACIOUS LOVE
1. Rooted in God’s sovereignty. Amos 3:2; Duet. 7:7; 9:4-5.
2. We are unworthy of God’s love.
3. A love that revives our souls. Ps. 119:76, 88; 144:2
E. A SAVING LOVE
1. It forgives sin. Ps. 51:1; 130:7; Prov. 16:6; Mic. 7:18; Ps. 103:8-14
2. Found only in Jesus Christ. Rom. 5:6-8. Jn. 3:16