“The Love of Christ Shown By and To His Bride”
Northwest Bible Church
January 26, 2020
Intro: Scripture text 1 Corinthians 13
A. To Whom is this Letter Addressed
1. Church in Corinth
a. Gentile believers
b. Schismatic – 1 Cor 1:10-13
b. Egregious sins forgiven – 1 Cor 6:9
(1) Laundry list of sins
(2) v. 11 – Such were some of you.
c. Just like us
(1) All of us have sinned and continue to sin
(2) Sin of Idolatry
2. Yet, called Saints in 1 Cor 1:2
a. Luther’s “Simul Justus Et Peccator”
b. The Corinthian Church is proof that we can be both God’s people and those in desperate need of our Saviour.
3. So, this letter is addressed to Christ’s church at large. That’s why it is included in the Holy Canon of Scripture.
a. It is as much written to us as well as the Corinthians
B. Knowing Your Theology and Practicing It is Worthless Without Love
1. I Cor 13:1, Acts 2:4-8
2. New Testament Prophets were given until the completing of the canon of Scripture
3. Faith to move mountains.
4. Compassion toward the poor.
6. ALL WORTHLESS WITHOUT LOVE
C. The Church is Christ’s Bride
D. Attributes of Love
3. Not jealous
4. Not proud or arrogant
5. Does not act unbecomingly, does not seek its own, not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered
9. Does not rejoice in unrighteousness but rejoices with the truth
10. Bears all things, believes all things, endures all things.
D. Love Never Fails