Northwest Bible Church - July 9, 2017 - Christ in the OT series - Alan Conner
The Messiah and the Holy Spirit
Isa. 11:1-5; 42:1-4; 61:1-3
A. ISAIAH’S PROPHECIES OF THE MESSIAH AND THE SPIRIT.
1. Isa. 11:1-5 - The Spirit and the Messiah’s character.
a) The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him (SHOOT/BRANCH).
b) The Holy Spirit will impart to the SHOOT godly character.
2. Isa. 42:1-4 - The Spirit and the Messiah’s compassion.
a) My Servant, My chosen one, “My Spirit is upon Him.
b) “A bruised reed He will not break” (v. 3).
c) Mt. 12:8-21 quotes Isa. 42:1-4.
3. Isa. 61:1-3 - The Spirit and the Messiah’s commission.
a) Note the Trinity (v. 1): Spirit, Lord GOD, Me.
b) The anointing of the Spirit (v. 1).
c) The commission (vv. 1-3): “Bring, bind, proclaim, comfort”
d) Lk. 4:16-21 quotes Isa. 61:1-3.
B. THE MESSIAH’S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT.
- He was conceived by the HS - Mt. 1:18, 20
- He was anointed and filled with the HS -Mt. 3:16; Lk. 4:1
- He received the Spirit without measure - Jn. 3:34
- He ministered in the power of the HS - Lk. 4:14
- He ministered in the joy of the HS - Lk. 10:21
- He gives the HS - Jn. 15:26
- He baptizes with the HS - Mt. 3:11
- He did miracles by the HS - Acts 10:38
- He offered Himself on the cross by the HS - Heb. 9:14
- He was raised from the dead by the HS - Rom. 8:11
C. THE HOLY SPIRIT AND THE BELIEVER.
- The HS has a vital relationship with the believer.
- The believer can grieve and quench the HS.
- How do we return to walking by the Spirit?