Northwest Bible Church - July 30, 2017 - Christ in the OT series - Alan Conner
The Messiah as Israel
A. CHRIST AS THE TRUE ISRAEL (Isaiah 49:3).
1. Who is called Israel in Isaiah 49:3?
2. The Messiah is described (Isaiah 49: 1-8):
a. The Messiah speaks, Isaiah 49:1-5, esp. Isaiah 49:3
b. Called and named from Mary’s womb (Isaiah 49:1) -
c. His mouth is like a sharp sword (Isaiah 49:2) -
d. He is the LORD’s servant (Isaiah 49:3).
e. He toiled in vain (Isaiah 49:4) -
f. With God as His strength, He will bring back Jacob and Israel (Isaiah 49:5-6).
g. He will be the light of the nations (Isaiah 49:6).
h. He is despised, abhorred, yet chosen (Isaiah 49:7).
i. He is given as a covenant of the people (Isaiah 49:8).
3. Christ as the new Israel in Matthew’s gospel.
B. HISTORY OF THE NAME ISRAEL.
1. Jacob wrestled with an angel (Gen. 32:24-26).
2. Jacob prevails and is renamed Israel (Gen. 32:27-28),
C. WHY THE NEED FOR A MESSIANIC ISRAEL?
1. Jacob’s descendants failed to lived up to the name Israel.
2. Christ as the new Israel will fulfill the role of OT Israel.