Northwest Bible Church - Feb. 25, 2018 - The Book of Acts - Alan Conner
The Book of Acts
A. TITLE OF THE BOOK.
1. The first titles are given to this book in the mid second century AD.
2. The preferred title.
B. AUTHORSHIP OF THE BOOK.
1. Testimony of the church fathers.
2. Relationship of Acts to the Gospel of Luke.
a. Both dedicated to “Theophilus” (Lk. 1:3; Acts 1:1).
b. The author of Acts claims to be the author of Luke (Acts 1:1-2).
c. 47 words which occur in both Luke and Acts but nowhere else.
d. 33 years of history in each book.
3. The eye-witness of Luke.
a. First trip with Paul (Acts 16:10-17, 22-40).
b. Second trip with Paul (Acts 20:5-21:18).
c. Third trip with Paul (Acts 27:1-28:16).
C. LUKE AS HISTORIAN.
D. PURPOSE OF ACTS.
1. Explanation -
2. Expansion -
3. Encouragement -
4. Endorsement -
E. KEY VERSE - Acts 1:8
This becomes an inspired outline for the book of Acts (Swindoll).
1. Jerusalem (Acts 1-7)
2. All Judea and Samaria (Acts 8-12)
3. Remotest parts of the earth (Acts 13-28)
G. IMPORTANCE OF THE BOOK OF ACTS